Started many moons ago by Prof-Hieronymos-Grost, the Orloks were a yearly poll on the IMDb horror boards where users submitted Top 5 lists of their favorite horror movies for each year. All of the results were then tabulated to come up with a definitive list of the year's most-liked genre offerings. Alas, when the good Professor decided to depart the boards years ago, the awards went with him... that is until now. IMDb-er seth_yeah - taking on responsibilities as both host and calculator - has decided to bring back this long-standing tradition in 2015, and now the awards will have a permanent place right here on this blog. Scoring is rather simple and done on a weighted system where first choice receives 5 points, second choice 4 points, etc., with a +1 bonus then awarded to the #1 selection on each list. IMDb release years are being used, but it is left up to voters to determine what they may or may not consider horror (which may be in conflict with IMDb's genre labeling system). If you'd like to participate, head on over to the IMDb HORROR BOARDS to vote! So without any further ado, the results...
USA / 53 points / Roger Corman
USA / 48 points / William Castle
USA / 34 points / William Castle
UK / 29 points / Terence Fisher
Mexico / 21 points / Fernando Méndez
Making the Top 10:
6. Mummy, The / UK, USA / 20 points / Terence Fisher
7. Tôkaidô Yotsuya kaidan (The Ghost of Yotsuya) / Japan / 12 points / Nobuo Nakagawa
8. Plan 9 from Outer Space / USA / 11 points / Edward D. Wood Jr.
9. (tie) Die Nackte und der Satan (The Head) / West Germany / 10 points / Victor Trivas
9. (tie) Suddenly, Last Summer / USA / 10 points / Joseph L. Mankiewicz
10. (tie) El hombre y el monstruo (The Man and the Monster) / Mexico / 7 points / Rafael Baledón
10. (tie) Horrors of the Black Museum / UK / 7 points / Arthur Crabtree
10. (tie) Killer Shrews, The / USA / 7 points / Ray Kellogg
Others receiving votes:
- Alligator People, The / USA / Roy Del Ruth
- Attack of the Giant Leeches / USA / Bernard L. Kowalski
- Bat, The / USA / Crane Wilbur
- Caltiki il mostro immortale (Caltiki, the Immortal Monster) / Italy, USA / Mario Bava, Riccardo Freda
- 4D Man / USA / Irvin S. Yeaworth Jr.
- Manster, The / Japan, USA / George P. Breakston, Kenneth G. Crane
- Man Who Could Cheat Death, The / UK / Terence Fisher
- Night of the Ghouls / USA / Edward D. Wood Jr.
- Return of the Fly / USA / Edward L. Bernds
- Terror Is a Man / Philippines, USA / Gerardo de Leon, Eddie Romero
- Twilight Zone: "Perchance to Dream," The / USA [TV] / Robert Florey
- Wasp Woman, The / USA / Roger Corman
- World, the Flesh and the Devil, The / USA / Ranald MacDougall
Links here will be connected when the time comes.
< Back to 1958 Continue to 1960 >