Started many moons ago by Prof-Hieronymos-Grost, the Orloks were a yearly poll on the IMDb horror boards where users submitted Top 5 lists of their favorite horror movies for each year. All of the results were then tabulated to come up with a definitive list of the year's most-liked genre offerings. Alas, when the good Professor decided to depart the boards years ago, the awards went with him... that is until now. IMDb-er seth_yeah - taking on responsibilities as both host and calculator - has decided to bring back this long-standing tradition in 2015, and now the awards will have a permanent place right here on this blog. Scoring is rather simple and done on a weighted system where first choice receives 5 points, second choice 4 points, etc., with a +1 bonus then awarded to the #1 selection on each list. IMDb release years are being used, but it is left up to voters to determine what they may or may not consider horror (which may be in conflict with IMDb's genre labeling system). If you'd like to participate, head on over to the IMDb HORROR BOARDS to vote! So without any further ado, the results...
UK / 71 points / Jacques Tourneur
UK / 34 points / Terence Fisher
USA / 32 points / Jack Arnold
UK / 22 points / Val Guest
Making the Top 10:
6. Quatermass 2 (Enemy from Space) / UK / 14 points / Val Guest
7. 20 Million Miles to Earth / USA / 11 points / Nathan Juran
8. I vampiri (The Devil's Commandment) / Italy / 10 points / Mario Bava and Riccardo Freda
9. Kaidan Kasane-ga-fuchi (The Ghosts of Kasane Swamp) / Japan / 9 points / Nobuo Nakagawa
10. (tie) Det sjunde inseglet (The Seventh Seal) / Sweden / 6 points / Ingmar Bergman
10. (tie) Not of This Earth / USA / 6 points / Roger Corman
Others receiving votes:
- Attack of the Crab Monsters / USA / Roger Corman
- Blood of Dracula / USA / Herbert L. Strock
- Cat Girl / UK / Alfred Shaughnessy
- Chikyû Bôeigun (The Mysterians) / Japan / Ishirô Honda
- From Hell It Came / USA / Dan Milner
- Invasion of the Saucer Men / USA / Edward L. Cahn
- I Was a Teenage Werewolf / USA / Gene Fowler Jr.
- Kumonosu-jô (Throne of Blood) / Japan / Akira Kurosawa
- Nachts, wenn der Teufel kame (The Devil Strikes at Night) / West Germany / Robert Siodmak
Links here will be connected when the time comes.
< Back to 1956 Continue to 1958 >